Monday, January 30, 2006

Oaxaca in Palms

Oaxacan Clown Lollipops
On Friday we double-dated with Joe....Trader Joe, that is. A branch of the fine Oaxacan restaurant, Guelaguetza, occupies the same parking lot as the Palms Trader Joe's, on the corner of Palms Blvd. and Sepulveda (11127 Palms Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90034). There are other branches of this restaurant in Korea Town: 3337 1/2 W 8TH St. and 3014 W Olympic Blvd. We've been to all three restaurants. The one on Olympic (near Normandie) is huge. It used to be a Japanese place and the exterior is still white with an upturned blue tile roof. The place on 8th St. is really small, but cozy.
The food here is wonderful the mole' sauces are exquisite. The minute you sit down they serve you hot tortilla chips (kept warm in an old industrial popcorn maker) with sweet red mole' sauce and queso fresco (cheese) sprinkled on top.
Larry ordered the chicken chile relleno with beans and rice. I ordered the caldo...chicken soup served with rice on the side, along with cilantro, onions, peppers and lime....very traditional.
There are all sorts of things to buy at Guelaguetza besides food. They have sugar skulls all year long for your Dia de Los Muertos needs, delicacies and pastries to go, little statues and figurines from Oaxaca, etc. It's usually busy here and the service is kinda' slow, but the food is well worth the wait. Oh yeah....it's reasonable too!

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 9:58 AM PST, Blogger Sara said...

I love that restaurant. I haven't been in ages, but I love the hot pink horchata-like drink! Well, actually, I love the look of the drink; I don't know that I'd love the taste. But it is pretty.

 
At 10:16 AM PST, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Great. Now I'm hungry.

 
At 5:05 PM PST, Blogger ~drew emborsky~ said...

I had so much fun the last time I was in Oaxaca (Mexico that is), although I remember burning the tops of my feet! Oh well, it's still amazing there...

 
At 11:01 AM PST, Blogger LadyLinoleum said...

Everytime I go to that TJ's I wonder if that restaurant is any good. I'm going...

 
At 10:44 AM PDT, Blogger ~ sal ~ said...

I was researching for this restaurant... you mentioned that there are other branches. I never knew the one in palms is a chain -- this is the only one I've been to. Then i found this website http://www.guelaguetzarestaurante.com/
I didn't see the one in palms. Are you sure it's the same thing? I normally recognize logos -- but for some reason I just never looked out for this to compare the logo on the restaurant and the website.

I'm just curious, not saying that you're wrong. this is a purely curiosity observation. ;-)

 
At 10:56 AM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Hi Sal,
I've been to the Guelaguetza Restaurants on 8th St., Olympic and Sepulveda and Palms. The menus and food are exactly the same at all 3!

Maybe they're ashamed of the westside location...OR, maybe the westside location was added after they printed the menus and revised their website! You may have to inquire at one of the locations.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery