Tuesday, May 16, 2006

The Birthday Basket

Jeff's Raffinesse Birthday Basket
basket photos by Audrey Tawa Burbank
It was Jeff’s birthday a few weeks ago and I wanted to make him something. It is challenging knitting and/or crocheting a small gift for a guy…especially a guy with a wife that is an excellent knitter (Audrey).

I was looking thru my stash for inspiration. It’s Spring…too hot for a scarf or a hat. I don’t think that Jeffrey uses potholders too often. Audrey knits washcloths all the time. I wasn’t quite up to knitting a pair of socks. Then, I came upon a smaller bin filled with this interesting yarn called “Raffinesse” that I acquired years ago from a Stitches From The Heart donation.

Raffinesse was made by Muench Yarns (it has been discontinued). It is 45% cotton, 35% polyethylene and 20% rayon. It has a sheen to it and looks somewhat like raffia, but it’s softer and more pliable. I would call it sport or DK weight. Perfect for a little basket!

So, I took out my “D” crochet hook and just started crocheting a tight square motif for the bottom of the basket. For the sides, I abandoned making corners and just crocheted in the round, changing colors a bit. I think it turned out kinda’ primitive and cool-lookin’.

The Birthday Basket sits on Jeff’s dresser for his loose change. I must experiment more with this Raffinesse.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 10:25 PM PDT, Blogger mj said...

LOVED the little basket. I bought a pattern about a month ago for felted baskets and you've got me chomping at the bit to start.
Yes, Nordstrom has some really amazing bags ... but I like yours better.
See you Thursday?
Maryjo

 
At 12:50 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ell, thanks for the props! Jeff indeed loves his Raffinesse basket. Too bad they don't make that stuff anymore. See you at tomorrow night's gala.

 
At 3:12 PM PDT, Blogger ~drew emborsky~ said...

What a fantastic gift!! Good job!!

 
At 3:30 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Thanks for the compliments everyone. I must make some more of these little baskets!

Sorry, Kids...I won't be at SnB tomorrow night. We're going with Audrey and Jeff (B-Day Basket Boy) to the Central Library Dinner honoring Norman Mailer!

 
At 4:18 PM PDT, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

Love the basket - esp. the colors. Very beach/retro/cool. Like you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery