Monday, May 01, 2006

L.A. Picnic Art

Art Show in Picnic Area, Whitley Heights
The Los Angeles Conservancy HPOZ Tour was great yesterday. I was stationed at the Whitley Hts. location with my paintings depicting some of the historic zones of L.A. I sold two pieces! Woo Hoo! My dear friends and art connoisseurs, Beth and Larry bought “Miracle Mile North” and another art patron bought “Walking Tour.” I also sold many giclée prints. Community representatives from the Whitley Hts. Neighborhood Association were in the park all day, answering questions about the area. Luckily, the sun came out around 11:30 in the morning, making it a beautiful day. The photo of me was taken by Beth Oliver. She brought me a gorgeous pair of earrings that she crafted, made from Brazilian citrine and coppery coin pearls that I am modeling.

The tour home in Whitley Hts. Is gorgeous. It’s in the Spanish Colonial Revival style, an informal “cottage.” The owners really did a marvelous job of refurbishing their home. It’s also rich with beautiful furnishings and artwork. There are numerous balconies overlooking the hillside across from the Hollywood Bowl.

I packed up and left my post at around 3 pm so I could see the Windsor Square home on the tour. This mansion is in the Italianate Revival style. It’s immense, classic and very formal. The owners decorated with elaborate Victorian antiques and revitalized all of the woodwork, floors, walls, fixtures, etc. One of the docents on this tour was Tony Valdez, veteran broadcast journalist at KTTV, KTLA and KCET. He really prepared his speech, highlighting important people who had lived in Windsor Square like actor, John Barrymore and his wife at the time, Dolores Costello (Drew’s grandparents). J. Paul Getty was a resident. He built a magnificent mansion in the area that is now used as the Mayor’s home. Anthony Villaraigosa and his family are in residence at this time.
To celebrate my sales, Larry and I went to the Historic Taylor’s Restaurant on 8th St. near Normandie for a steak dinner.
Larry had the London broil, I had a filet, both with baked potato and creamed spinach. The martinis here are legendary and really reasonable. Dinner was divine, of course and a perfect way to top off an L.A.-centric day.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 3:26 PM PDT, Blogger Bri Ana said...

Sorry I had to miss it... AND I love Taylors! (You really do know al the good spots - LA is your beat!)

 
At 11:35 AM PDT, Blogger DarcyArtsy said...

That is awesome, I knew you would sell some paintings, they were displayed beautifully in the foilage too.

 
At 5:15 PM PDT, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

Gorgeous. Gorgeous earrings, settings, paintings, etc. Even the dead animal flesh looked attractive. I'm so happy for you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery