Friday, September 22, 2006

Rosh Hashanah

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Sundown tonight is the beginning of the Jewish High Holidays. Tonight and tomorrow we celebrate Rosh Hashanah which is the Jewish New Year. I copied the following from the Judaism 101 site.
In Hebrew, Rosh Hashanah means, literally, "head of the year" or "first of the year." Rosh Hashanah is commonly known as the Jewish New Year. This name is somewhat deceptive, because there is little similarity between Rosh Hashanah, one of the holiest days of the year, and the American midnight drinking bash and daytime football game.
There is, however, one important similarity between the Jewish New Year and the American one: Many Americans use the New Year as a time to plan a better life, making "resolutions." Likewise, the Jewish New Year is a time to begin introspection, looking back at the mistakes of the past year and planning the changes to make in the new year.
It's always good to review your life for the past year and think ahead to what you'd like to accomplish in the coming year. We all make mistakes throughout the year. The difficult thing is to try and correct those mistakes or to not repeat them. I'll give it my best shot!
Traditionally, my family gets together on the night of the first day. This year, that's Saturday night. When we were young, my Grandma Freida would cook a big, garlic-laden dinner of apples and honey, matzoh ball soup, gefilte fish, brisket, fresh vegies, tzimmes and fruit cocktail bread pudding for dessert. Until my Dad passed away a couple of years ago, my folks would invite Larry and I and a few other relatives to their club for a traditional chicken dinner to celebrate the new year. Our family is getting smaller and smaller. This year, Larry and I will be having dinner with my Mom and her current husband at a restaurant near their home. It is traditional to eat apples dipped in honey, to symbolize our hopes for a "sweet" new year. I'll bring some for dinner tomorrow night, just to preserve some semblance of ritual.
L' Shana Tova Tikatevu or Happy New Year everyone!

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 1:43 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year, Ellen!

 
At 2:57 PM PDT, Blogger Ana Petrova said...

Happy New Year Ellen!

 
At 4:36 PM PDT, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

Right back atcha!!! {smirk} Your mom's *current* hubby. I *love* that!

 
At 5:46 PM PDT, Blogger tk said...

Happy sweet new year! I like the idea of the apples and honey. I may have some as well.

 
At 12:32 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I saw you on the Citizen of the Month blog. Good Yontuv! I don't know how to spell that. Anyway, I live in Boston and dream of perhaps one day living in L.A., so I will be lurking around...

 
At 3:30 AM PDT, Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery