Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Inspiration

Of course, I gained tons of inspiration from just sitting and watching everyone at Stitches West in Santa Clara. It's a 24-hour fashion show. Everyone is wearing clothes they either knitted or crocheted. You can really start to recognize trends and fashions. I saw lots of mitred square sweaters and jackets, lots of lace shawls and this year, even lots of crocheted pieces.

In the past, when I've needed a crochet or knit inspiration jolt, I've driven over to Sawtelle Blvd. in West L.A. to the few blocks dedicated to Japanese shops, restaurants and markets. There's a big bookstore on the east side of the street, just north of Olympic called the Asahiya Bookstore . It's on the 2nd floor of this mini-mall (just upstairs from Beard Papa, by the way). Everything about pop culture is located in this store. I usually make a beeline for the craft section.There are lots of books and magazines dedicated to knitting and crochet. Most of these magazines are beautifully photographed. I cannot read Japanese, but I can understand the crochet diagrams. About a month ago I picked up two magazines on granny squares. You know my saying, "Granny Squares are the Building Blocks to Fashion."
That very day, I met up with my friend Rhoda and showed her the magazines. Her gaze stopped at a black and red granny square purse. She had that look of want on her face. Now I know what to make for Rhoda for her upcoming birthday.
I'm using Bernat Lana Wool in black and TLC Amore' Yarn in Garnet for the handbag. I'm not exactly sure what shape this bag will become, but I know I'll have to line it. Results to follow.

Labels:

10 Comments:

At 5:01 PM PST, Blogger Madge said...

LOL - did you see the Panopticon's post from yesterday? Granny squares are popping up all over!

I stopped by Kinokuniya in SF to check out their craft books and was amazed by how many crochet ones there were. (The Hello Kitty one almost came home with me, but I resisted its lure - whew.) Many featured lacy granny square scarf patterns - very romantic.

 
At 5:35 PM PST, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

you COULD have written this entire post without ever mentioning BEARD PAPAs, couldn't you?!?! Oy.

 
At 5:58 PM PST, Blogger mary said...

I love that bag in the picture, and Rhoda is one lucky gal with a bag slated for her, lined no less.

 
At 8:35 AM PST, Blogger Lisa said...

sounds like a great source of information and inspiration. thanks for the tip!

 
At 10:25 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You understand the diagrams in the Japanese crochet patterns!!!!!!!!!

Yikes, I need your advice then. I'm trying to do the cute flower blossom motifs in the mag you gave me. I'm stuck after the first round...but I know you will unstick me.

See you soon!

 
At 11:43 AM PST, Blogger dizzy von damn! said...

you are amazing.

 
At 2:36 PM PST, Blogger Natalie said...

Rhoda's going to love it! Hope she doesn't read your blog.

 
At 7:27 PM PST, Blogger carlita dee said...

I didn't know from this Asahiya Bookstore. I'll have to check it out. I go over there to go to Matsuwa (I think that's how it's spelled) on Sawtelle near Venice (I think that's where it is). They have yummy yummy soups. But the bookstore lacks sufficient crafty materials.

 
At 7:58 AM PST, Blogger Unknown said...

Again, your blog is very informative. Next time I am in LA I am going to check out that area. By the way I am a BIG granny square fan.

 
At 10:45 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello!
Just want to say that I love your blog! Nice pics also.
Greetz

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery