Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Low-Brow Inspiration

In previous posts, I've talked about Mr. Larry's involvement in the low-brow art movement as a photographer. Many of the movement's current artists have hired Larry to photograph their work. Larry's photographic transparencies are later used for the print media or to reproduce giclees (fine art prints of paintings).
One of our favorite artists, Joe Vaux, dropped off a few paintings for Larry to photograph the other day. I love being able to see these works before the general public gets to see them. Joe's artwork is wild. He makes up all of these crazy characters. By day, Joe works for a network animated show creating storyboards. By night, he paints these incredible, other-worldly pieces.
After seeing Joe's latest work, I was inspired to crochet a little monster for him. Meet Googie, my crazy, wild little creature, inspired by Vaux's work!


Googie is another procrastination project! It took me about 3 hours to complete him. From ear-tip to toe, Googie is eight inches tall. His body is about three inches wide. He was fun to create from scrap acrylic yarn as a summer night distraction.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 12:30 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, Ellen! Joe's work is scary, but intriguing. Your Googie is much more cuddly!

Judy
Bakersfield

 
At 4:07 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL, this is so amazing, and hysterical. Oh Ellen, I love how yarn-centric you are. I wish I could be. But time and arthritis prevent it overtaking me.

 
At 6:35 PM PDT, Blogger Sally said...

Wonderful!Tongu and eyeballs make it perfection.

 
At 9:26 PM PDT, Blogger mary said...

I love Googie! That's like your own version of amigurumi... or ellengurumi.

 
At 9:49 PM PDT, Blogger Natalie said...

You are a wunderkind. I love Googie! Stay cool.

 
At 11:04 AM PDT, Blogger mehitabel said...

Hmmm... I can tell t hat both you and Joe have very creative and interesting minds! Had to chuckle over the name--one of my childhood BFFs was called Googie (real name: Frances Anne Claire Lastname) and then, of course, I know you're a fan of Googie architecture!

 
At 12:04 PM PDT, Blogger Madge said...

I heart Googie! Those googly eyes, those floppy ears...tho' that tongue is the clincher.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery