Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Yipes! Stripes!

I bought a 10 skein bag of this divine Noro Big Kureyon #19 at the Great Black Sheep Knittery Sale of 2007 last summer at an extremely low price. I absolutely love it! I hadn't been able to think of what to knit or crochet with it. It's bulky, so crocheting was out. I finally decided to just go for it and knit up a big, comfy stripey sweater. I used size 10-1/2 needles and the top-down sweater generator. You should really check out the generator...it's incredibly easy and very satisfying.
This was a very quick knit. I finished it in about a week. I must admit, the horizontal stripes are not too flattering, but it's warm and cozy. Hence, the close-up of me wearing this stripey wonder is cropped cropped cropped!

I know I could have figured out an easy pattern knitting sideways, so that the Noro stripes are vertical instead of horizontal. There are many on the internet. Sonnett on knitty.com is one of my faves and it would look awesome using Noro Kureyon and just stockinet stitch. I just love knitting top-down so I can try the sweater on as I knit. I'm so impatient. I suppose I should get that ol' knitting machine outta the box and see if I can make it work! I really must get back to all of my UFOs and those darn holiday wristys.

Labels:

9 Comments:

At 3:43 PM PST, Blogger Kath said...

I really love the colors, enough neutral to go with anything but enough punch not to be boring! And I wouldn't stress about the horizontal stripes issue - I think people make too much fuss about that. I am curious about if that's a button at the top? Or some sort of pin or clip? On my screen it looks like it might be silver maybe.

 
At 3:43 PM PST, Blogger jillian said...

The first thing I thought when I saw the picture is how cute that sweater looks on you. The just shy of wrist-length sleeves and constrast band along the cardigan opening really help balance the stripes. I think it looks great!

 
At 3:55 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You look very cute in your sweater! Love the colors, they are among my favorites.

I love Noro too. I'm using the Black Sheep stuff I bought for my cache of wristys (inspired by you, of course!). I finished my first pair last week, and I'm working on a second pair. It's great to finish a project FINALLY!

I actually just threw out my sweater UFO that I had clung to for almost two years! It's such a real relief not to stare at that damn bag everytime I went past it. It was just Red Heart so it was no big loss.

 
At 4:48 PM PST, Blogger Caryn said...

This is so cute! Love the color combination and it looks very soft.

 
At 5:06 PM PST, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Thanks for the compliments everyone! I'm sure I'll be wearing this sweater alot!

Yes, Kath, that is a vintage silver pin at the top of the sweater!

 
At 5:25 PM PST, Blogger Madge said...

Love ya in your Noro sweater, Ell. It looks GREAT on you!

 
At 6:09 PM PST, Blogger Will Pillage For Yarn said...

What are you talking about "not too flattering"??? That's a fabu sweater and it looks fantastic on you. And very flattering!!

 
At 11:23 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great sweater!

 
At 5:40 PM PST, Blogger ChelleC said...

That sweater is gorgeous!!! You made it in a week, oh my gosh. And the button is so full of character - it makes the whole thing pop.

You have flair, girl!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery