Tuesday, June 10, 2008

ModCom Field Trip

Santora Arts Building
On Sunday, Larry and I went on a field trip with members of the Modern Committee of the L.A. Conservancy. We drove to the historic Santora Arts Building in downtown Santa Ana to the workshop and showroom of Joseph Musil and his Salon of Theatres.
Salon of Theatres
The showroom was set up like an art deco theater with models of historic theaters, like little doll houses lining the walls. The lighting in the showroom is most impressive and dramatic. Once everyone arrived, Mr. Musil gave us a tour of the theater models and explained how he has re-vamped and re-designed many L.A. theaters in the art deco motif, including The Crest Theater in Westwood. Mr. Musil has been involved in theater design since his high school days at Wilson H.S. in Long Beach.
Theater Models
After that he showed us his working samples of historic theater curtains...very elaborate! We then saw a DVD presentation on the historic theaters of Long Beach. It was a fascinating afternoon. You too can see Mr. Musil's showroom in Santa Ana on the first Friday of every month...more info here.
Mr. Musil's Workshop
We met up with our long-time friends and Santa Ana residents, Jonde and Nick, for dinner in downtown Orange. Jonde and I have known each other since our junior high days as campers at the Idyllwild School of Music and the Arts. Below, I give you a photo of vintage Jonde and Ellen, courtesy of Jonde's archives!

Jonde and Ellen, Idyllwild, many years ago, above

Jonde, Nick and Ellen, downtown Orange, today

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

At 1:29 PM PDT, Blogger susanc said...

I love your striped pants Ellen! You both look great in both photos. It must be fun looking back at all those great photos and they must bring back great memories. Fun!

 
At 1:34 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have always been adorable! I would never show anyone my photos at age 17. You on the other hand look like a gorgeous Joan Baez.

I wish I had grown my hair long in those days...sigh....

Christine G.

 
At 2:08 PM PDT, Blogger betty said...

I have to join in and say that I LOVE those pants! Did you sew them yourself?

 
At 2:17 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

You are all so kind! I shudder to think that the vintage photo of us was taken 38 years ago!!!

No, I didn't sew the striped bell-bottoms. I do believe they were Loehmann's specials.

My hair didn't stay long after that summer. When I was at my first year of college at San Diego State, I cut my hair short. It's been short ever since!

 
At 4:18 PM PDT, Blogger Viva Scrapper! said...

Ok I am so jealous of your Idyllwild camp photos! That looks like the most awesome place ever!
P.S did I tell you I stayed up till 2 am the othernight with a hook, some inappropriate yarn and a you tube tutorial and attempted to make a granny square?

 
At 10:29 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That picture is adorable AND I had pants just like that!

 
At 10:24 AM PDT, Blogger mehitabel said...

Looks like it was a good time in Idyllwild, and a great time in Orange, too. I love Old Town Orange and now I need to take a drive down and scout through the antique shops again!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery