Friday, July 18, 2008

108 Degrees in the Shade!

Yesterday morning, I waved a fond farewell to beautiful Mile-High Idyllwild. I decided to drive down the Hill the opposite way from which I approached it a few days earlier. I took Highway 74 toward Hemet and swerved toward Palm Desert. As I drove down the hill, the outside temperature soared. In Idyllwild it was a lovely 75 degrees F. when I left. 45 minutes later, I was in hot, hot, hot Palm Desert. It was 97 degrees F.
I stopped at the Michael's at Town Centre. It's usually a fully-stocked store. They had a good selection of yarn, but nothing I hadn't already seen. Then I drove over to the Yarn Co. on El Paseo just to check in. They were in the midst of inventory, so there was yarn everywhere....which is not a bad thing, but I couldn't get to the shelves of cotton blends, so I left. By then, the temperature had risen to 100 degrees F.
I stopped for a sandwich at Sherman's Deli in Palm Springs, across from the PS Spa Hotel. Delicious chicken salad. Then, I drove over to the Palm Springs Art Museum to see the D.J. Hall retrospective. I was not disappointed. The show was magnificent. I've been following her painting career since the early 1980's. It was wonderful to see her progression thru the years. Of course, since I didn't buy any yarn in P.S., I bought the catalog to the show.

D.J. Hall 35 Year Retrospective
"Summer Past-Time", 1995, painting by D.J. Hall
On the lower level of the Museum there was a photo show by Nickolas Muray, featuring his photographs of Frida Kahlo. Most of the photos were of Frida....some very familiar and iconic. Other photos were of Frida's life in Mexico.
I really love the PS Art Museum. The building is very mid-century modern, it's not too huge, so it's very manageable for a short visit. They always have interesting exhibits. The admission is FREE most of the time!
When I got back in my car at about 1:30 to drive back to L.A. the outside temperature was 108 degrees F. Time to get outta there!
My drive home was blessedly uneventful and quick. I pulled into our driveway at about 3:20 p.m. Perfect. Just enough time to rest, relax and cool off before heading over to the Farmers Market for the WeHo SnB. Of course, we had a grand time.
This is the beginning of my b-day weekend celebration extravaganza! Woo Hoo! Hope yours is good too!

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 8:19 PM PDT, Blogger jillian said...

Happy Happy Birthday Ell!!

 
At 10:06 PM PDT, Blogger Natalie said...

108! That is smokin' hot!!!
What a great adventure.

Now let's get to celebrating!

 
At 1:38 AM PDT, Blogger justclaire said...

Happy Birthday Ellen! Enjoy your weekend of celebrations :)

 
At 7:39 AM PDT, Blogger inkberryblue said...

I hope you have a wonderful, fibre~filled birthday Ellen!

 
At 9:38 AM PDT, Blogger LINDA said...

Enjoy your celebration! Happy Birthday, Ellen!

 
At 7:44 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 2:54 PM PDT, Blogger m said...

I'm from the "comment train" on Ravelry. I just love your blog! So many great pictures!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery