Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Special Olympics - Winter

Ellen's Crocheted Scarf for the Special Olympics
My friend, Marie told me about knitting or crocheting a scarf for the participants of the Special Ollympic World Winter Games. There's even a group on Ravelry for this project. I immediately signed up for the group. I think this is a very worthwhile project and I'm happy to participate. Of course, the fact that Red Heart is one of the sponsors also tickled me.
So many of my friends tease me for using this 100% virgin acrylic yarn. I really like how sturdy the worsted weight yarn is. It's perfect for purses, rugs and even sweaters (if you use enough fabric softener on the finished product). The directions for making the scarves are here. You HAVE to use RH Super Saver Yarn in Delft Blue #885 and White #311 so that all scarves will be the same color. You can use any pattern you like and the sizes vary.
I zipped out on my lunch hour to Joann's and Michael's in Santa Monica to see if they carried the yarn. On the Ravelry group, I'd read that Delft Blue is a difficult color to find. The group was correct. Even Yarns Unlimited (who carries RH) didn't have Delft Blue #885. I found the White #311 right away. There was Country Blue, Periwinkle Blue, Navy Blue, Royal Blue, Denim Blue, Light Blue, but no Delft Blue! After work, I drove over to my local Wal-Mart (Crenshaw, Baldwin Hills) and they had the yarn! I bought 4 skeins (some for Marie). I left about 6 skeins in the bin for my West LA knitter/crochet friends. Many participants are ordering their Delft Blue directly from Coats and Clark.
I'm using a pattern I found in one of my crochet stitch books. It's called The Long Wave, size "J" crochet hook. I think I'll probably knit a scarf too, using the Mistake Rib pattern. Why don't you join me? The scarves do not have to be mailed until early January 2009.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 2:17 PM PDT, Blogger Natalie said...

What a fun thing to do. If I stumble upon the blue in my ramblings through Joann's I will play along too.

 
At 3:52 PM PDT, Blogger Jenn said...

This sounds like a great thing to do! I will have to scope out my local places to see if I can find the yarn.

 
At 9:46 PM PDT, Blogger Kath said...

I already have the white in my stash so I was hunting for the Delft Blue colorway on my last trip overtown. Like you I tried both a Joann's and a Michael's with no luck - but I forgot about Walmart! I'm going back over next week so I'll give that a shot - thanks!

 
At 12:26 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't care what they say, there's nothing better for blankets, scarfs, and mittens (especially for kids) than good old Red Heart. Nothing is more washable and durable than Red Heart. And you're right, a couple of washes with some fabric softener, and it becomes ultra oober soft! I have tons of it in my stash. Good Job Ellen!!! love the scarf.

 
At 11:17 PM PDT, Blogger LINDA said...

I will be joining in the fun with you and Marie...now off to find some RH yarn!

 
At 8:56 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

These look like great patterns! I'm wondering, for the Long Waves scarf, how many chains did you start out with?

Thanks,
knitcindy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery