Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Hint 'o Mint

On Friday night, Larry and I were invited to Lori's and Rick's house for dinner. I offered to bring dessert. There was this cake I read about here that I wanted to try. Lori's and Rick's guestlist was small and we knew the others, so I decided to experiment with this new recipe.

Hint O' Mint Cake

It's a devil's food chocolate cake. You can make it from scratch or you can use a packaged mix. Whenever I make devil's food cake, I add mini-chocolate chips to the batter.
The frosting is buttercreme frosting (butter, powdered sugar and a bit of milk, blended well). For the look of mint, add a drop of green food coloring to the frosting. For the taste of mint, add a few drops of mint extract to the frosting. I also chopped up a few York Peppermint Patties and stirred that into the frosting.
After baking the cake and letting it cool, I poured on the mint frosting and then dropped a few York mints around the outer edge of the cake plate.
The cake was a success!! Even though my photos make this cake look like a molten mess from the moon, it tasted divine. I will definitely make this recipe again.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 2:11 PM PDT, Blogger Beth said...

It looks absolutely delicious to me. I'll take a slice with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, please.

 
At 3:54 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe, Ellen. I'm going to make this cake on Saturday to take to a party!

Judy
Bakersfield

 
At 6:44 PM PDT, Blogger Jean said...

Sounds refreshing, this would go great with a nice cup of coffee.

 
At 9:21 PM PDT, Blogger gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

What an excellent cake idea. So glad you shared it!

 
At 10:56 PM PDT, Blogger Natalie said...

yum
sums
it
up

 
At 4:39 AM PDT, Blogger The Elegant Thrifter said...

Ellen,

You've made my day! Thank you for giving my Hint 'O Mint Cake that you read about in the LA Times a whirl. Cove visit me at www.theelegantthrifter.com.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery