Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Quickie Cooking

OK...do you have to prepare a last-minute Thanksgiving feast for just a few people? Or, like us, do you eat Thanksgiving out and long for leftovers? All 30 of my family members will be meeting up at the Del Rey Yacht Club for our annual feast. By Friday or Saturday, Larry and I will be longing for another round of turkey and stuffing.
Here are a few of my hints and tips for an easy turkey-fest for just 2 people.
I'll run over to Von's AFTER T-Giving and pick up some turkey parts. We like the breast and drumsticks. Don't laugh, but Stove-Top stuffing is really delicious. If you want to add diced vegies, go ahead..get fancy. I have this divine cranberry jello recipe that I made last year. I also really love Ocean Spray cranberry sauce from the can...yum. My vegie fave to go with turkey is creamed spinach. This is really easy to make. Just take a package of frozen spinach, drain it well, mix it with a 1/2 can of cream of mushroom soup, heat and serve. You can add diced mushrooms if you'd like. Candied yams...another recipe from Grandma.
Grandma Freda thought that canned food was the BEST invention! She was correct. Open up a can of yams, pour them into a baking dish, top with a bit of butter, brown sugar and some tiny marshmallows. Bake for about 30 minutes.
For dessert, I like pumpkin ice-cream. You can usually find it this time of year at most supermarkets. I like to melt down a bit of the ice-cream and pour it into a graham cracker pie crust (you can buy prepared ones), re-freeze the pie and serve it later with whipped cream. Of course, the Perky Turkey cookies are really fantastic too!
There you have it....easy T-giving dinner for a small group or even for one person!! Enjoy your leftovers!

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 12:01 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for these easy ideas, Ellen! Happy Thanksgiving.

Judy
Bakersfield

 
At 3:01 PM PST, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

shoot. I thought by going to friends' for t-day I'd avoid the leftovers, but now you've given me a whole host of ideas!! And I agree - Stove Top *IS* good!

Have a great holiday weekend!

 
At 3:54 PM PST, Anonymous Donna said...

Sounds like a plan to me! Happy Thanksgiving.

 
At 7:28 PM PST, Blogger Jean said...

Nice way to spend the day - with your family. It's so easy to get turkey almost any time now, thanks for the tips too.

 
At 8:18 AM PST, Blogger justclaire said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Ellen!

Hope you have a fun and relaxing day with your family :)

Claire

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery