Monday, August 23, 2010

The Wild West, City Style


On Saturday I drove out to the Gene Autry Museum at Griffith Park. It was a beautiful clear day and the Zoo, next to the Museum was packed.

Gene Autry, the singing cowboy and biz tycoon, in bronze

My friend, Joan Tapper was at the Autry Gift Shop signing her new book, "The Wild West on 5 Bits a Day." There were quite a few people there to commemorate the Museum's latest program, Women of the West.
Joan's new book is highly entertaining. Here's a good synopsis by Laura Friedkin that will give you an idea of what the book is about.
I must say, I do LOVE museum gift shops. The Autry has one of the most interesting gift shops in the City. They carry lots of western style clothing, books, accessories, pottery, dishes, jewelry and they even have craft and knitting books!! I always like visiting, just for the sensory overload.

Knitting Books!!

On the way home, driving back through Los Feliz, I stopped at Yuca's Hut on Hillhurst Ave. for one of their fabulous carnitas burritos and a lemonade. All of the food at Yuca's is very fresh and cooked in the Yucatan style...very simple, clean and perfectly spiced. It was a divine day to sit in the parking lot of the adjacent liquor store and enjoy my lunch!

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 3:13 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Autry Museum is my favorite! If I miss anything about LA it's this. Thank you for the pictures Ellen.

 
At 3:32 PM PDT, Blogger gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

Oh how fun to see Joan on your blog! She needs a pair of cowgirl boots to go with her book, doesn't she? I want that pair you showed, looks like a great museum and shop.

 
At 6:55 AM PDT, Blogger Mary Lou said...

Cowgirl stuff and knitting books? My kinda place. Next time I am in LA I'll check this out. I love the boots.

 
At 12:02 PM PDT, Blogger Natalie said...

Oh Man, I wish I had known about the book signing. I would have went with you. The book sounds fascinating. That museum is a little gem.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery