Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Not-So-Secret Project

Here's a project I've been planning for about 2 years. I swapped this beautiful blue Cascade 220 Superwash yarn with my friend, Heather. It's the most perfect color for Mr. Larry! I've been searching for just the right pattern to CROCHET a slipover sweater for him. After tons and tons of research, I've come to the realization that a KNIT sweater for Larry is best. The drape and fit of a knitted garment versus a crocheted garment just works better for men's sweaters.
Time to search for the perfect knitted pattern for Larry's sweater. I knew that I wanted to throw a few cable stitches and some other textured stitches into the mix. I looked up Fisherman knits.....too dense and complicated. I searched on Ravelry....nothing appealed to me.


Then I searched my own library of patterns. Debbie Stoller's "Son of Stitch 'n Bitch" had an excellent pattern. "Checks and Balances" was the right shape, weight yarn and had a simple schematic.

"Checks and Balances" by Debbie Stoller

I substituted my own pattern stitches and came up with a very nice, nubby pattern of mostly 3x3 waffle boxes with a 6-8-6 cable pattern down the center. I knit a mistake rib (multiple of 3 sts., K1, K1,P1) for the bottom band on size 7 needles; switched to size 10 needles and worked up my pattern. I've finished the back of the sweater and am about half-done with the front. This will be a round-neck slipover. I've decided to knit the sleeves at the same time to insure that they are the exact same size. It's been a very long time since I knit an entire sweater. So far, I like it!

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

At 5:12 PM PST, Blogger susanc said...

Wow, that looks great Ellen! That is a really nice pattern and the color is beautiful. I'm sure Mr. Larry will love it!

 
At 5:16 PM PST, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Susan! I'm hoping the slipover turns out OK!

 
At 6:38 PM PST, Anonymous Twilight said...

I'm impressed how much you can alter a pattern! The cable and waffle combo look great.

 
At 9:31 AM PST, Blogger blandina said...

I like this combination, too, and the color of the wool seems perfect for a man.

 
At 8:04 PM PST, Blogger gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

Wow this is looking pretty wonderful, I think you have a big success up ahead.

 
At 9:23 PM PST, Blogger Unknown said...

Impressive... love it. Will you be doing a cap as well?
I can see it on Mr. Larry the photog extroadaire.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery