Friday, December 10, 2010

Vintage Photo Friday

Freda and Sam Katz, Los Angeles
Freda is 17 years old in this photo...probably around 1915

I've been in contact with my cousins on my Mom's Father's side of the family lately...the Katz family. I've also been scanning a bunch of old photos. This has been an interesting journey. We have branches of the family in Southern and Northern California, Central California, Louisiana and a few other spots. As far as we can tell, my great-grandparents, Zelek and Frouma Katz immigrated from Vilna, which at times was part of Lithuania, Poland, Belarus and/or Russia. We're not sure who came to the United States first, but we do know that they stopped in Ellis Island and then went directly to New Orleans. My Grandfather, Sam came to Los Angeles as a teenager...his brothers followed. This sounds like an advanced research job for my friend, Danny!
Over the years we lost contact with the Katz side of the family that didn't live in Los Angeles, so it is great to finally unearth all of this information and hear stories about what all of my cousins remember from their parents' and grandparents' stories.
I do remember the photo session below. I was around 4 years old, my brother around 11 and my little cousin, Janet was probably 2-1/2. A professional photographer took posed photos of all of us individually and in groups at Grandma's and Grandpa's house in Beverly Hills.

1955 Freda,Ellen,Sam,Janet.Ken
Freda, Ellen, Sam, Janet, Ken

I do LOVE the look of delight and surprise on my face. I was a happy child. Have a happy and wonderful weekend!!

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 8:48 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ell : Cousin Phil mentioned years ago that he would make a copy of Grandmas and grandpas album for each of us. Not all but the memorable photos. Are you and Larry coordinating with him on that? it would be nice for each cousin to have a copy. especially all of the grand parents, great grandparents, Mar, Roz, Celia photos. My Mothers wedding photo is in there and I would like to have it ( even though it was to HI) it is a beautiful photo. So what can be done for each of each of us to have a copy? Always enjoy your posts. Cousin Jan

 
At 12:08 PM PST, Blogger Glennis said...

Are you related to the family of Mickey Katz, the musician, who was the father of Joel Grey?

 
At 1:56 PM PST, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Hi Glennis! I wish we were related to Mickey Katz's family! I knew Mickey's wife, Grace (Joel's mother). I used to sell her Tupperware in the '70's. They lived in a lovely apartment on Wilshire Blvd. in Westwood. Later, I ended up working for Grace's nephew (Joel's cousin) at 20th Century Fox. Aunt Grace used to call her nephew, Lee's mother and Joel's mother were sisters.
Katz is a very common name....there are millions of us!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery