Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Stitches West!


Woo Hoo!  Very excited!  Brenda and I are driving up to Santa Clara tomorrow morning to attend Stitches West this weekend.  I haven't been to this fiber conference since 2007.  There will be tons of people there that I know from various SnB's around L.A. plus members of the El Segundo Slipt Stitchers Guild
I'm really looking forward to taking a couple of classes.  On Friday I'm taking "Getting Started with Japanese Crochet Patterns" taught by Gayle Roehm.  I can read the Japanese charts, but I'm looking for more clues as to how to read these directions concerning weight of yarn, hook size, etc.  The Japanese crochet books are photographed beautifully.  I have many in my collection for inspiration.
On Saturday I'm in a class called "Curvy Crochet: How to fit Crochet Sweaters" taught by Marly Bird.  I've made many crocheted sweaters in the past, but they just don't fit as well as knitted sweaters.  I'm extremely impatient.  Crocheting is much faster for me than knitting, so I'd like to learn a few tricks to make crocheted sweaters as attractive as knitted ones.
On Saturday night there is a banquet and student style show.  This is always a fun event.  Students from all over the globe get on the runway and strut their latest knitting and/or crocheted fashions.  There are prizes in addition to little gifties for everyone attending.
The Market Place at Stitches West is amazing.  There are hundreds of vendors from all over the world.  I plan to visit my Slipt Stitch friend, Merilynn who owns Foxy Knits.  She is a major Koigu yarn distributor and is giving Slipt Stitch Guild members a discount on this faboo yarn.  Merilynn was kind enough to give me a copy of "Melrose."  This pattern is really gorgeous.  The photo on the Foxy Knits page does not do it justice.  My Ravelry friend, Suzanne, crocheted this pattern and her version is really a stand-out!  Such an inspiration.
Suzanne's "Melrose"

I do have quite a bit of Koigu and the very similar Pagewood Farms sock yarn in my stash.  I will be adding to it this weekend to achieve an excellent blend for "Melrose."
Uh, Oh...Natalie...I think that little ball of grey Koigu in the bottom left corner of the above photo should be transferred to you! 

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 12:43 PM PST, Blogger BluOnyxExpressions said...

Have fun! I will get there, one of these years. Take lots of pictures for us. :)

 
At 2:07 PM PST, Blogger Lynda said...

Have a yarny great time Ellen.

 
At 2:08 PM PST, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Thanks for your comments and good wishes, Ladies!

 
At 9:39 PM PST, Blogger betty said...

I plan to pay a visit to the marketplace on Saturday afternoon. If I see you (and recognize you!) I will definitely say hello.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery