Monday, March 23, 2015

Saturday Night Date

Tonkatsu Ramen at Silver Lake Ramen

On Saturday, after a very successful crochet flower class at the El Segundo Slipt Stitchers Guild and lunch with my Committee Ladies, I was exhausted!
By around 6-ish, I had revived a bit.  Larry and I went on a date.  I'd been wanting to try Silverlake Ramen.  We've been to almost every ramen restaurant in the Metropolitan L.A. area.  Silverlake Ramen has been open for a couple of years and I'd heard good reviews.  


There's a real phonebooth in the parking lot!

The line was fairly short, but we were there early for a Saturday.  We waited about 20 minutes, talked to some knowledgeable people in line and checked the menu.  For an appetizer, the Crispy Rice with Spicy Tuna, avocado, jalapeƱo and eel sauce was recommended.  It was excellent!


We both ordered the Tonkatsu Ramen (see top photo).  Larry added the special egg to his bowl.  I must say, the broth was the MOST delicious I've ever had.  It was not one bit greasy.  The pork belly was grilled on one side.  The noodles were super flavorful. Yes, this has to be one of my favorite bowls of ramen yet!
When we left the restaurant, there were tons of people waiting to get in!
Next stop....L.A. Eater recently review Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream parlor on Hillhurst in Los Feliz.  It just opened on Friday.  It was in the direction we were driving, so we passed by.  Yup.  The line was down the block.  We'll wait for the crowds to die down a bit before we go back.  I have heard marvelous things about Jeni's ice cream.
Now, we were on a quest for some ice cream.  I remembered that there was a newish place called Salt and Straw on Larchmont Blvd.  The line wasn't nearly as long as Jeni's, so we parked and walked up the block.  I always like strolling this Village street.  Many of the same stores I frequented during my Hollywood years are still there.


I had a small cone, filled with Sea Salt w/Caramel Ribbons.  Larry had a super scoop of Freckled Woodblock Chocolate.  Yes, they were both rich and delicious.  It was a perfect Saturday night date.



Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 2:42 PM PDT, Blogger gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

oh noooooo! Now I am SO HUNGRY! That all looks beyond delicious. I would have gladly accompanied you all day, workshop then date night. Becasue who doesn't want a third person along on date night;-)

 
At 1:41 PM PDT, Blogger Crystal Carson said...

It looks like you had a great date, Ellen! I'm glad you took the chance to try out that Japanese restaurant. That bowl of ramen definitely looks tasty. I love how the two of you went out for ice cream after! So sweet! Hahaha! Thanks for sharing that! I hope you get to enjoy more moments like that! All the best! :)

Crystal Carson @ Tacky Jacks

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery