Friday, March 20, 2015

Vintage Photo Friday

Our last visit to San Francisco was in 2008.  It's time to go back.  We always stop at Quantity Postcards in North Beach.  I'm not sure if this little shop is still there, but Quantity does have an online presence. 
Pearl Bates, President of Motel Managers Training School. 1987, Quantity Postcards

I've been a secretary for a 100 years.  NOW, I'm an "Executive Assistant." I still use the term "secretary," because it's so retro and descriptive. "Secretary" was phased out when more males came into the field. I like my job. I've been in the entertainment field for MANY years, so everyday is interesting and different and seemingly glamorous to the outside world. I am an important cog in this wheel we call the business of show. The secretaries of the world hold the professional community together. No matter how digitized business functions are, people still need to interact with real people to get things accomplished!
Sooooo, whenever I see official photos of secretaries doing their job, I collect them!  Pearl Bates (above) is my hero.  Her photo has graced the front of my desk for a very long time. Even though Pearl is labelled as the President of the Motel Managers Training School in South City, Texas, she's sitting at a reception-like desk.  Everything about this photo is perfect, Pearl's pink suit, her hair, the French telephone on the desk and, of course, the sentiment, "May I Help You?"  I've aspired to Pearl's excellence forever.

Food Stuffs International Visitor's Center, Cincinnati, Ohio.  Quantity Postcards

Above is another fab example of someone who loves her job! Who would not want to sit under an elongated globe of the world, circled by a ring of Food Stuffs!?!
OK, it's Friday.  Time to put my stenographer's pad away, cover up my typewriter, turn off the mimeograph machine, let the phone service know that I'm closing the office and head out for the weekend!  Have a wonderful one, my friends.


Labels: , , , ,

9 Comments:

At 1:24 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like you, I am now called an "executive assistant". In my world, "secretary" was phased out due to the duties that were not *historically* considered part of a secretary's job, such as budget, logistics, purchasing, being added to my job. I now do all the traditional secretary stuff, like make appointments, flights, reservations etc etc, plus I am a credit card holder and buyer for three offices, budget functions, and so much more. "Secretary" has definatly evolved over the years. We're no longer just a pretty face to answer the phones and type letters, thank God. I actually do not like to be called a secretary, to me its a step back in time, and doesn't adequatly describe what I do.

 
At 2:29 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Time to check your secretarial spelling dictionary, Melissa. DEFINITELY.

 
At 3:50 PM PDT, Blogger Strickmuse said...

What a great idea to collect secretary memorabilia. I am also an Executive Assistant today and started in 1977 as Jr. Secretary in the airline business. I am actually on the look-out for an old typewriter to set up as decoration. I already have a black rotary phone which my adult kids think is the coolest thing on my little desk. I remember making coffee for my boss and dialing, transferring and announcing the calls for him. My current boss would laugh if I'd do that now. Thanks for sharing Ellen.

 
At 3:52 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Thanks for sharing, Susanne! Oooooo, you have a rotary phone! How cool! I just got rid of my RED Selectric typewriter. it was just taking up too much room. Sigh. Pink Collar Workers, UNITE!

 
At 8:00 AM PDT, Blogger Julie said...

I think either you or Susanne should buy this.

 
At 8:09 AM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Hahahaha! Julie! That brooch is fabulous! Thanks for the link.

 
At 12:29 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL that's why I have spell checker! That's a word I always get wrong, you'd think I'd learn.

 
At 7:49 AM PDT, Blogger Diane said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 7:49 AM PDT, Blogger Diane said...

Another secretary out here..a bunch of were laughing the other day that today's millenials would not know what carbon paper or a typewriter eraser were for!! Definitely dating myself..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery