Thursday, May 21, 2015

The Dinosaur Connection

The mileage on my new-ish car. Yes, I sit in traffic long enough to snap photos of my control panel. Ugh.

1969 and 1970 - Pivotal Years in My Life

I'm not surprised any longer when I meet people that know other people I know, even when they're from different aspects of my life. I have school friends, music biz friends, yarny friends, relatives, historic preservation friends, art and painting friends, etc. These groups often intersect. I guess I just have INTERESTING friends! After awhile, I just assume that all of my friends know each other and that we all have experienced the same things growing up.
So much of television and movies have recently been involved with remembering the 1960s. The Sixties are Fifty! There are documentaries, mockumentaries, novelizations of real events and stories set during those times in the U.S. Larry and I are addicted to television and pop culture of that era. My name is Ellen and I'm a TV-a-holic. As we watch these shows based on the 60s, we are reminded of our own high school and college years in Los Angeles. We are dinosaurs...irrelevant in today's culture. NOW, I understand why my parents only listened to THEIR music and could not comprehend my rock ' roll.
Everything I do and see comes back to those pivotal mid-1960s and early 1970s years. I am at the point in my life now where I often look back and don't dare look too much into the future. Everything I see reminds me of those times. The fact that the AMC series, "Mad Men" and David Letterman's 33-year long run on late night television have both come to an end within days of each other magnifies my dinosaur disposition. Yes, it is the end of an era. We'd better write down our memories and catalog those photos or everything will be lost to later generations. Oh, so what! They have their own memories to make and remember.
My New Crocheted Head-Rest Covers for My Atomic Gold Car that resemble antimacassars. #dinosaur

I like eating at classic L.A. restaurants that I've been frequenting for 50 years. #dinosaur

Let's hang out together, my dinosaur friends. If we do not have children to care for us during our fossil years, we must cultivate younger friends that understand our pre-historic ways and can learn about our shared memories.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 4:18 PM PDT, Blogger Unknown said...

As always, my favorite Cro-Magnon knitter sums up our birth cohort's cultural predicament with insight, empathy and good photography. As Quentin Crisp said of his legacy left to future generations: "I won't be there, I couldn't care less."

 
At 4:34 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Yeah, this is pretty deep for me. Thanks, Richard, my fellow Boomer Geezer!

 
At 5:34 PM PDT, Blogger betty said...

I loved your posting, and it really struck a chord -- especially the part about not daring to look too much into the future.

Oh well, at least there are tons of us boomers out there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery